Support and counselling
Cancer brings changes in people’s lives and hearing that you or someone close to you has cancer can be a distressing experience. FORCE Oncology Support Specialists are trained counsellors who, as well as offering support, can give more time and in-depth help in the form of counselling.
How might support help me?
FORCE Support and Information Centre staff are trained to give a wide range of support. You may feel you need:
- A listening ear
- Practical guidance
How might counselling help me?
Counselling offers a safe place where you can speak about feelings that may concern you. It gives you time and privacy to talk about how cancer has affected your life. Counselling may help you to:
- See things in a new and sometimes better light
- Feel less worried and isolated
- Better understand yourself and others
- Find new strengths within yourself and more effective ways to manage your life
- Make decisions and take relevant action
Is counselling for me?
Counselling is available at any stage of a cancer diagnosis. Sessions can be for individuals, couples and families. We will make an initial assessment of whether our counselling service would be helpful to you. This will be done in confidence either by telephone or in person.
Who will I see?
You will see a FORCE Oncology Support Specialist who is supervised and trained to professional standards in counselling (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, BACP).
How do I make an appointment?
You can contact our Support Specialists on 01392 406169 to discuss your needs and arrange an appointment for you or you can ask another member of staff to do this on your behalf.
- Our counsellors adhere to BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) guidelines
- Each counsellor receives regular supervision
- Notes are held either electronically or on paper and are stored confidentially. They are accessible only by the individual counsellor and the team leader
- Notes are retained independently from the NHS
- Further information about counselling will be explained in more detail during your first session
Please feel free to download or print our Support and Counselling Service leaflet.